This is crazy easy and you’ll wish you did it sooner! Herbal vinegar made with tea is what your body needs to make its Ph smile. There’s lots of videos on this but if you have 2 minutes, you can read on and skip the watch.
- Make the tea. Use organic or home-grown herbs and don’t boil. Let the water almost come to boil then turn off the stove.
- When it cools, put it in a bottle. A glass bottle is suggested as this is a live culture and plastic may leach chemicals into it.
- Add a spoon or two of raw apple cider vinegar. Or any yeast starter. This just speeds things up as it will eventually begin to ferment naturally on its own. How much vinegar? Use your intuition, you can’t get this wrong and the more vinegar the quicker the fermentation.
- add a pinch of your fave mineral salt. I like pink himalayan.
- Add sugar until it’s sweet. This sugar will cause it to end up being vinegar, as the yeast eats it over time. Use better quality sugar, cane, coconut, etc..
- Cover with a coffee filter (use 2) or a cloth. I use rubber bands to hold it in place over the mouth of the jar.
- Wait. About 30 days to 6 weeks depending on the temperature.
By the way, it will first turn to Kombucha, that lovely drink that balances our gut bacteria. You can use it for that or let it keep going until it’s sour.
- Top up the bottle with the tea/sugar/salt whenever you use it, that way you always have some in fermentation. Or, have 2 jars at all times and when you use one up, refill it with the tea and sugar and you will always have vinegar on hand.
- If you use strong aromatic herbs such as rosemary or thyme for the tea, the vinegar will have the herbal scent which is a plus when using it for cleaning.
Going back to the olden days when we didn’t have to buy every single thing and we could be certain about the quality of foods is refreshing and uplifting. Cheers!